I am relieved to report that Jillian survived her first official childhood "accident" that landed her in the ER last night. My dad was in town for the evening and we had just finished dinner. Jillian was seated at the table in a booster chair (I have been putting her at the table with us in the evenings) and I had just walked to the sink to get a rag to clean her up. My dad was still at the table with her, and we were engaged in conversation when I turned around to see Jillian falling backwards in the chair. It was like a scene in a movie where you know something is going to happen, but you can't speak or move. We both saw her going down, but neither of us could catch her. The chair hit the floor, and in the process of tipping, Jillian had slid up a bit so that her head was above the chair. This resulted in the back of her head hitting the hardwood floor. She screamed loudly and inconsolably for several minutes, which though unsettling, I knew was a good sign. I called Matt, who happened to be out of town moonlighting, and thankfully caught him. He agreed after hearing the way she hit the floor that we should take her in just to be safe. I was so glad that my dad was here to drive us to the ER. By the time we arrived at the hospital, Jillian had stopped crying and was chatting away happily. Another good sign. The ER staff was so nice and were quick to reassure this guilt-ridden mother that accidents happen, and that I shouldn't blame myself. Jillian passed the physical exam with flying colors, and we all agreed on a plan to observe her for an hour before going home. Just what do you do inside an ER observation room with a toddler for an hour? I'm glad you asked. Grandad kept her rather occupied.
She rode the "horsey" while being fascinated by his sticker visitor tag

And she discovered the endless entertainment of playing hide and seek in a curtain.
Where is Jillian??

Here she is!

As you can tell by the pictures, Jillian thankfully escaped this accident without harm. She was her usual wild-child self and bouncing off the walls. We were sent home after the hour with a clean bill of health. It was past Jillian's bedtime, so we quickly got her bathed and ready for stories with Grandad. For some reason, it really warms my heart to watch my dad read to my daughter.
Despite the drama of the evening, we really enjoyed his short visit. Jillian kept going to the window that we looked out as he drove away this afternoon and calling for her "Na-nad" tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment