Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Phone Conversation

Jillian had what I believe to be her first true phone conversation last night. Sure, she has tried to talk on the phone many times--usually repeating what we ask her to say, such as "Say hi to Grandma" or say "bye bye to Aunt____", you get the idea. She's also known for just smiling at the phone as said relative talks to her, or for trying to interrupt the conversation by pushing buttons on the phone. Last night was different. Jillian had received a get well package from Grammy and Grandad a couple of days before, and she was very excited by the items inside. I casually told her that we'd have to make sure to thank them on the phone when we talked to them next. A couple days passed, and I gave my mom a call as I was preparing to put Jillian to bed last night to catch up. I was trying to get Jillian to talk to Grammy (or "Drabby" as she now calls her), and she just said to her, "Talk Dadad" (asking to talk to Grandad). Grammy put Grandad on the phone and then the conversation began:

Grandad: "Hi Jillian, it's Grandad"

Jillian: "Hi Dadad! How you?" (What?! Did she just say 'how are you'? I had no clue she knew to ask that!)

Grandad: "I'm good, Jillian"

Jillian: "Tank you pwesent Dadad" ('Thank you for the present Grandad'), and again "Tank you pwesent Dadad!"

Grandad: "You're welcome, Jillian"

Jillian: "Wub you Dadad ('Love you'), wub you Dadad"

Grandad: "I love you, too, Jillian"

Jillian: "Bye Bye Dadad!"

I was floored. I couldn't believe the natural flow of conversation that just occurred without any prompting from me, and without her trying to push the buttons on the phone. She just sat there holding the phone like a big girl, grinning from ear to ear as she talked to her Grandad. I'm pretty sure he enjoyed that, too.

No comments:

free web counter

Followers