Wednesday, November 10, 2010

2 Year Well Child Check

Jillian had her 2 year doctor visit today, and I am pleased to report that all went well. Jillian is now 35 1/4" tall (82%), just under 28 lbs (67%) and continues to be off the chart with her big old head (>97%). We spent some time preparing her for the visit, to try to aid in cooperation, and that definitely paid off. She was an absolute champ and was unusually cooperative. When Dr. V asked her to open her mouth, she did so and said "Ahhh!". She turned her head willingly so she could look in her ears, she laid back on the table for the exam, and she said "listen to heart beat" when Dr. V put the stethoscope to her chest. Dr. V said she normally hates 2 year well child visits, but said that Jillian was by far her most cooperative patient in a long time. That is music to a mother's ears....now if I could just get her to cooperate with ME! Dr. V and I chatted a bit about potty training, nutrition, and behavior management in 2 year olds. If there is one thing I've learned as a parent, it's that my old "tricks" as a therapist are worth nothing on my own child! It's humorous to think how well I thought I was prepared for this mothering deal with all my knowledge and experience with children. Jillian shows me every day that just isn't the case, so we are learning together. I feel very blessed to have a happy, healthy 2 year old who just happens to be pretty darn cute.
At the end of the visit, Dr. V left and I knew the nurse would be right in with 2 shots for Jillian (Hepatitis A and Pneumococcal booster). I told her the that nurse was going to bring 2 flu shots (I called them flu shots because she did so great with her flu shot a few weeks ago) and that if she was a big tough girl and didn't fight her, that I'd take her out for a cheeseburger and french fries afterward. She nodded her head in agreement and was so brave getting those shots. She kept her eye on the nurse as she lay on the table (held her head up to watch the whole event), and only cried briefly after the second shot. She was proud of her crayon bandaids and loved the Elmo sticker reward, and of course that coveted Happy Meal we picked up on the way home.

No comments:

free web counter

Followers