-We put our tree up with lights, no ornaments, just before Thanksgiving. She has enjoyed pushing the limits by daring to plug in and unplug the lights, and has endured many timeouts as a result. We finally decided to add a few ornaments last weekend (about a quarter of what we have), and she was overjoyed at the process of getting an ornament and putting it on the tree. She also loves to remove them and play with them, so as a result there are very few within her reach :)
-Jillian is scared of Santa Claus. Matt took her to the mall a couple of weeks ago, and she was very curious and agreeable to the idea of sitting on his lap so they waited in line. As they got closer, she decided she wanted no part of it, so she is probably the only 2 year old in the world who has never had an official Santa Claus picture. If you tell her that Santa Claus is going to come to our house and bring her presents, she quickly escalates into a panicked voice and says, "No,No Santa Twaus bwing pwesents!". I guess we could get off easy!
-I decided that I want to start a tradition of making Baby Jesus a birthday cake each year. I asked Jillian if she wanted to help decorate a birthday cake for him a couple weeks ago, and she was all for it. She has been asking me if it's time to make the cake yet, and she even told Matt that "Baby Jesus have it the Elmo birthday party!" Lucky for her, we do have some Elmo napkins left from hers, so we will use those napkins as we enjoy his cake on Saturday.
-Jillian seems to be partial to angels. She loves the one on the top of the tree (though she was confused at first and called her Mary), and likes to find any angel ornaments we put out. She always says, "Angels have wings!" whenever she spots one.
-Matt purchased an "Elf on the shelf" a couple of weeks ago when we were out shopping. The idea is that this elf moves around the house every day and is supposed to watch the child(ren) in the home and report good/bad behavior to Santa Claus. Matt named our elf Simon, and he has enjoyed moving him to a new spot each night while Jillian sleeps. Unlike Santa Claus, Jillian is NOT afraid of Simon and she often asks "Where's Simon?" when she gets up in the morning and exclaims "Hi Simon!" when she finds him. Can you spot Simon in this picture? He's been here in the basement for a few days hiding out....he (or Daddy) must be tired!

-Grandma and PopPop sent Jillian the Little People Nativity set. I was so happy to get this, and Jillian loves it, too. She understands that Mary is the mother of Jesus, and that the Wise Men brought presents. She is also very concerned about making sure that Mary stays close to Baby Jesus, and never leaves him alone in the manger without her as she plays. I am surprised that she is doing such a good job of keeping the pieces together in one spot, as that is definitely not typical of her. When I play with her, the most requested activity of late is, "Mommy play Baby Jesus with you". I got a kick out of what I heard her say one day last week as we were playing together. As she was holding Mary and floating over Baby Jesus I heard, "Dood night Baby Jesus, Mommy's here...now go to sleep!" Perhaps even Mary wished she could get more sleep. At any rate, I know this set will be a favorite to dig out of the Christmas boxes every year.
No comments:
Post a Comment