Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer Saturdays

Summer is slipping away right before my eyes (evidenced by the changing leaves on the tree in our front yard), and so we are doing our best to live it up. Matt has had a heavy weekend work schedule this summer, so Jilly and I have spent many Saturdays entertaining ourselves. Today was one of those days, and although a certain little someone was pretty cranky for most of it, we managed to enjoy some of my favorite routines of this nice warm summer. Just what did we do today?

We hit the Farmer's Market. No summer Saturday is complete without a trip to the market, in my opinion. I get very giddy as I peruse the beautiful produce and start dreaming up the week's menu. Jillian knows what we do at the Farmer's Market, too, and when I tell her we're going, she says "beg-bulls" (vegetables) then says "red shro-sher" (I am going to ride in my red stroller). Today, the apple orchard people were there and they brought along their homemade doughnuts. I love them. Jilly had her first one ever this morning. She wasn't so sure about the sticky sugar coating, but she had no trouble finishing one of her own!


We hit the pool not once, but twice today! I had planned to head there after nap, but when we got a text from a friend who said she was going late-morning, we just couldn't say no. Here is Jilly dressed and waiting on me to head out for round 2.


We jammed in the car to Jilly's favorite song ("Hey Soul Sister" by Train). I had no idea she liked it until it was on the radio one day last week as we pulled into the garage. I turned the car off and she kept singing "hey-ey-ey-ey-ey". She is always asking for "hey so sissa". After we pulled into the pool parking lot, I turned around and snapped a pic of her dancing to it--you can see that her legs are blurry...that's because they were really grooving!


I asked Jillian what she wanted for dinner as we were leaving the pool, not really feeling a desire to cook much for just us girls. She said, "freh fries, cheese-burber wunch" (I want french fries and a cheeseburger for lunch--she calls every meal lunch). She didn't have to twist my arm...we drove through Culver's with the windows down and radio blaring and brought our dinner home to enjoy. She ate nearly an entire cheeseburger and as many fries as I'd let her get her hands on.

I am obviously not going to win any parenting awards for good nutrition today (and I didn't even tell you about the cookie she got at Target on a quick errand--gasp!), but we both enjoyed every simple, sinful pleasure of this summer Saturday.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Wish I could spend a summer Saturday with you two!

free web counter

Followers