Tuesday, August 31, 2010
The Big Birthday Scare
Today was my 32nd birthday, and it did not pass in an uneventful way. I began the day by dropping Jillian off at the RAC for a little "me time". I headed to get a pedicure, and then to meet some friends for a quick lunch and chat in the RAC Deli. As my friend, Betsy, and I went to pick up our girls at Kids Club, they came running towards us, ran into each other and fell to the ground. Nothing big, just typical kid tumbles. Jillian was crying, though, and I knelt down to console her. I think it must have really scared her, because she kept crying those big crocodile tears and wasn't settling down as quickly as usual. I began to wonder if she was really hurt, but couldn't see that she was. Suddenly she arched her back, and I saw her eyes roll back in her head as she then went completely limp in my arms and passed out. As one might imagine, I started shouting for someone to call 9-1-1, as I felt the strength leave my legs and felt as though I could barely stand. I remember seeing Betsy reach across me to pick up the phone when, after what seemed like an eternity (in reality, probably less than 20 seconds), Jillian came to, cried briefly and then was back to her old self. I was still stunned and felt like I couldn't move or breathe myself. The medical person at the RAC was with me by then, and we sat down and looked at Jillian, who was sitting quietly in my lap repeatedly asking for "pizza wunch" (pizza for lunch). Betsy had the great idea to call our friend's husband who happens to be a Pediatric ER dr. He was home, and said it sounded like a breath-holding spell (apparently normal in young children) and not to worry, but that if I was nervous about it, I could bring her by and he would look at her. We did just that, because I of course WAS nervous about it. I paged Matt, and he agreed that was the best thing to do. Jillian was fine, and did apparently experience a breath-holding spell. This is a phenomenon unique to early childhood where a child will cry so hard that he/she forgets to breathe. The child then passes out briefly, as the body resets itself, so to speak, to resume breathing and blood flow to the heart and brain. Completely harmless and normal, but without a doubt, the scariest moment of my entire life to date. He told me it could very well happen again, and not to be surprised if it does. I'd prefer that it didn't! I am so very grateful that all ended well, and thankful for the support of friends and the RAC staff who helped with everything today. It was a startling reminder to me to treasure every moment with my child, and to thank God for the blessing that she is, no matter how frustrating and challenging our days might be at times. The experience gave me a renewed sense of perspective on what is truly important in my life--not the coveted moments to myself, or a clean house, or nice clothes, but the love and health of my beautiful family. Oh and in case you were wondering..Jillian DID get pizza for lunch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are a little behind on this blog stuff, aren't you? I guess I will understand in a few short months when my time will become Jack's time!
That story still gives me goosebumps, so terrifying how fast things can change. Tell
Jilly to give you something calmer for your birthday next year!
Post a Comment