Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sleep Shortage

Sleep feels fleeting at our house right now. Between my husband who battles some insomnia (then sets his alarm for 5 a.m. and pushes snooze for an hour...he sleeps through that, but I do not), and my two year old who has suddenly decided she likes to wake in the night and/or rise at a ridiculous hour ready for the day, this pregnant lady is tired. I have no sleep issues, other than having a tough time going back to sleep once someone wakes me up (see above problems!). It's no secret that I am vocal and cranky about all of it. Jillian has historically been a fantastic night sleeper (began 6 hour stretches at 6 weeks, was up to 9 hours at 3 months, and a solid 11-12 by 8 months), and we stick to a very predictable routine, so I have trouble understanding the sudden issues. I am sure that it is just another reflection of her iron clad will and desire to have control over every situation (hmmm....I can't take credit for the iron clad will, but probably have something genetic to claim in regards to the control issues). This is all compounded by the fact that in a very short few months, another little person will enter this home and wreak complete havoc on my sleep for an unspecified period of time. This is all the more reason why we need to get this little problem corrected ASAP, so that Mommy can rest up! Selfish motives aside, the nighttime waking and early rising makes for a very emotional and even more dramatic than usual wild child. We are experiencing heightened female drama, and intense outbursts that I believe are at least partly to blame on shortened sleep. I am not sure how to correct it, but know it will involve some nights/mornings of screaming it out more than I am allowing at this time (because I'm tired, remember?). I try to pick my battles carefully, and I have plenty to choose from with a willful 2 year old. I am trying to keep a positive perspective and remind myself that this too shall pass...perhaps in about 18 years. My mom kindly reminded me that it doesn't end then, because then I will have the trouble sleeping as I wait for my kids to come home or call me or worry about what they are doing when they are out of my house. Oh dear, I think I need a nap.

Last night we had a sleep issue of the bedtime refusal variety. We went through the routine, Jillian got in her bed without trouble, but began screaming for me after about 5 minutes. I went in to tuck her back in, and the same thing happened again, and again. I then told her she would just have to cry because I was not coming back in her room until the morning. She cried, screamed, banged on the door, etc. It soon began to sound like she was going to rip the door off the hinge, so Matt went in and told her that she could not attack the door. She didn't have to get in her bed, but she could sit in her chair by herself (she kept asking to "rock in da chair" with us), whatever, but we were not going to allow the door assault. He left her, quiet, as she sat in the chair. About an hour later, he went in to check on her just to see where she had fallen asleep. He quickly ran downstairs and asked me for the camera, to document this sight:

We had a good laugh, and I was once again reminded to not lose my sense of humor in all of this 2 year old drama. I did have trouble finding it at 6 a.m. this morning, however.....

1 comment:

Team Leach said...

Mom and I want to know... Did you leave her there? Or put her back into bed?

free web counter

Followers