A good friend of mine lost her mother last week, and it has caused me to think a lot about the role mothers play in our lives. I cannot imagine the heartbreaking loss of my mother at this age, or any age, really. I believe I will always need my mom.
How I need her just changes over time. It overwhelms me to realize that I am in that role now, and that Jillian (and her sister) will always rely on me the way I rely on my mom. It really is an awesome responsibility. It is true that I often take this gift of motherhood for granted as I go about the daily routines, answer continual demands, and struggle to find time for myself. I feel tired, unappreciated, tired (can't stress that one enough!), and constantly wonder if I am being a good mom. I remember my mom telling sometimes that she wanted to change her name. I totally understand now as I hear "Mommy" about 5 million times a day as a precursor to a request. But truly, is there any finer blessing than to be a mom? I think not.
So today, I celebrate my mom and the child who made
me a mother. I teared up as Jillian proudly presented me with a musical "princesseses" card (that she quickly reminded me really belonged to her) and a Snuggie blanket she had picked out "all my by self" on an early morning shopping trip with her dad. What more could a mother ask for? OK, maybe an extra long nap....especially when you view the only picture taken to commemorate the occasion and realize you really DO look as tired as you feel!
No comments:
Post a Comment