Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Trial Run Of Sorts

This story is definitely blog-worthy in my opinion, so just had to share. I have a good friend who is also pregnant and due at the end of this month. We discovered our husbands were both to be out of town this week (hers for a board review and mine for a week of moonlighting in northern MN) and sort of joked that we'd be "on-call" for each other...just in case. At 37 weeks, she obviously had a bit more to be concerned about than I did at my 33, but we all know how I worry so it was nice to just have a plan and a support person. Thursday morning as I was getting ready for work I got a call from her--her water broke!! Her husband was in Chicago, so she called him and told him to get on the road. I went to get her, we finished packing her bag, and I took her to the hospital. Can you just imagine the looks we got as I pulled up to the circle drive, got out of the car with my huge belly and she with hers? The attendant with the wheelchair wasn't sure who to help. I quickly informed him that I was fine, got my friend in the wheelchair and went to park the car. More funny looks in the elevator on the way up and again as we entered labor and delivery. So we got her all checked in and I waited with her until her husband called and said he was in town and on his way--he made it in aboutr 5 1/2 hours. Then I ran (ok, no I did not run literally) across the street (remember that the University is right across the street from Mayo) and taught my 4 hour class that afternoon. What an exciting and dramatic day! While I was waiting with her we spent a lot of time talking about all the things they told me in prenatal class--my friend had not had hers and was scheduled to go this weekend! Luckily, for me, she was not really uncomfortable yet so I didn't get any scary picture of labor. I was glad to have missed that part :) I'm too close to witness that. I'd prefer to stay oblivious at this point. So I'm happy to report that my friend had a beautiful baby boy late that night and I went to meet him yesterday--what a sweetheart and a little peanut he is. As I was holding him in my arms as he rested on my belly, my baby started kicking him repeatedly. She's already trying to charm the boys :) Oh, and yes--Matt is now home, and he's not going ANYWHERE from here on out!

1 comment:

Team Leach said...

OMG! How crazy!!! That is definately a story you will never forget! And my little niece is already charming the boys!!! Aunt Mal and her will have to have a little chat! = ) Love you!

Aunt Mal

free web counter

Followers