Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

When I was a kid, I remember asking my mom what she wanted for Mother's Day. Her reply was always the same: "I just want everyone to get along". I always thought that was such an odd answer...couldn't she think of anything else she wanted? Flowers? Jewelry? Time to herself? Now that I am a mom, I sort of get it. I only have one child to date, so I don't have to contend with bickering siblings, but I absolutely can relate to just wanting a day of peace in my home. No tantrums (OK, that's just not possible for an 18 month old), no fighting naps, no major bumps and bruises, etc. I got just that for Mother's Day this year. Matt got up early and made breakfast (pancakes, bacon, eggs), we headed to church, and then out to lunch. Jillian slept for 3 blissful hours that afternoon, and while Matt was outside doing yard work, I took a nap and lay in silence in the dark basement. I grocery shopped alone, and enjoyed a delicious steak for dinner. The best part of the day, however, was the end--not because it was over, but because this was the scene at bedtime.



What more could a mother want?

1 comment:

Charie said...

A wonderful Mother's Day for a wonderful mother! You're right - sweet Jillian knew the perfect way to end your special day!

free web counter

Followers