Sunday, March 22, 2009

Aloha!

DSC00931
We've been absent from blogging lately for good reason....Matt and I just returned from Maui! Matt went to a radiology conference to present his research and decided I was worthy enough to go along with him. After much toiling and worrying (on my part), we went without Jillian. I had lots of concerns about leaving her--none of which had to do with the care she would be in. My fabulous mom came to our home and cared for Jillian in her own environment for the entire week. Jillian and her grammy had a great week together--they played, sang, read, took lots of walks, and fell in love with each other even more. I called home at least twice a day, and was always given great reports. Jillian slept 10-11 hours each night (except for the last one--she decided to get up at 2 for a bottle) and was quite a joy for her grammy. I of course was worried about being so far away from her for the first time, among a million other things. I am happy to say that my hard work of pumping all week paid off, and Jillian returned to breastfeeding without any difficulty. Leaving her was the hardest thing I've done, but I am so glad I went to Maui with my husband. It was great to get lots of time together and have the freedom to enjoy the island at our own pace and schedule. Trip highlights included great snorkeling, a morning at the spa and morning beach yoga for me, a ukulele for Matt, great sunsets, and lots of fresh fish. I'm surprised that Matt and I didn't return as mahi-mahi and ahi tuna, respectively, since we each ate our favorite fish so often. We both missed Jillian so so much and were so happy to snuggle her when we returned last night! She obviously recognized us (another worry I had)and gave us lots of smiles. Grammy and Grandad made us a welcome home sign in Hawaiian, the house was clean, and Grammy had a delicious dinner waiting. What more could we ask for? Thanks, Mom, for making this week possible for us! Another big thanks to Julianne, for checking on Mom and Jilly Bean and being the great neighbor that you are!
We are a bit tired and jet-lagged from the long overnight plane trip (no sleep), but thought we would share some pics. I think we took an all-time low number of pictures on this trip--think we're out of the habit of taking pictures that aren't of Jillian! We will return the usual all about Jillian posts next time :)
Here's my favorite pic of Matt--a spontaneous shot while relaxing one evening on our private lanai
DSC00891

Me before the welcome reception--basically a free luau-style dinner sponsored by the conference on a gorgeous evening
DSC00893

A couple shots of the resort grounds. I should comment and say that this resort was out of control....if you watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight, you will recognize the Grand Wailea Resort and Spa as the location where they renewed their vows.
DSC00895DSC00910
DSC00896

Matt and his new uke
DSC00901

Famous Maui sunsets
DSC00925
DSC00916

No comments:

free web counter

Followers