Monday, April 27, 2009

Toothless No More

Big news in Jillian's world...she officially has the makings of a tooth! The puzzle pieces of her weekend behavior now all fit together nicely:

1. Saturday morning she woke to a blowout diaper, which isn't all that unusual, but I did think it to be a bit more watery than is typical (pardon the detail..)

2. She ramped up her naps to consistent 1-2 hour naps, in her crib, twice a day--not at all this busy girl's usual style (but Mom loves it!)

3. She did not eat well Saturday or Sunday, highly abnormal behavior for my ravenous child.

4. She woke Sunday morning at 2 a.m. (screaming) and was up for an hour. That is highly atypical. She usually sleeps a good 9-10 hours.

5. My mom and grandma watched her yesterday while I went out and got my haircut (Matt was out of town moonlighting). When I called to check in, my mom reported she had been relatively discontent all afternoon, had a slight runny nose and just didn't act herself. I deduced that she must have actually been REALLY crabby for my mom to even mention that she was a tiny bit on the discontent side.

I talked to my mother in law on the phone last night, and she asked me if I could feel a tooth--ummm....why didn't I think to stick my finger in there and check?? I guess I just assumed I would see some noticeable bumps, white line, etc that would clue me in to the looming eruption, which would then prompt me to check continuously. Not fifteen minutes after that, I had her on my lap after her nightly meal of cereal and sippy cup practice and decided just to check. I was shocked to feel a tooth already poking through! One tiny little sharp tooth. The bottom front tooth on the right (If I paid attention at the dentist's office I could give you the number, but I don't). I couldn't help but feel a little sad at this milestone, for two reasons: 1. My little bitty baby is not so little bitty anymore, and 2. I am certain she is going to bite me like a little vampire someday soon. I've heard horror stories from my friends and I am not at all looking forward to the comfortable and relaxing feeling of nursing her being replaced by fear and pain.
Anyway...I am happy to report that despite these minor behavior disturbances, Silly Jilly is still a happy girl and I think has tolerated this process well so far.
Here she is giving a teething toy a workout.
teething

In other news, I abandoned sweet potatoes after six consecutive days of getting them spit in my face. I do know that you have to introduce a food at least 10-15 times before a child can really decide whether or not they like something, but I want to keep mealtimes a positive experience in these early days (and always, really) so we will revisit those in the near future. Perhaps it was bold of me to make the jump from rice cereal to sweet potatoes in the first place. At any rate, we tried oat cereal and though I got a pretty funny face initially, she has decided she loves it. She is also figuring out her sippy cup and is starting to get some water out of it (which she may or may not swallow...she's still not sure about that cold, flavorless liquid!)
sippycup

And on a final, completely unrelated note, here's my sweet girl rockin' her new flower headband that Grammy brought. Perhaps baby baldness really isn't a bad thing after all :)
flowerinhair

4 comments:

Team Leach said...

Such a big girl getting a tooth!!! She is changing so fast!

Blessings to you........ said...

Babies have 20 teeth - they use to se letters for children and numbers for adults. Jillian got her first central incisor number E I believe or F !!!!
Hadley got her first one this past week also!!

love you guys!
gin

Charie said...

Wow- Jillian's first tooth! It's crazy how fast these milestones come up. I love the flower headband - so spring!

Paula (Mom) said...

A tooth, that is a milestone! Many more to come, then the fun of the brushing.. she will like that. I love that headband and that picture is my next screensaver.

free web counter

Followers