Sunday, March 28, 2010

Let's Go Swimming!

Jillian and I are 5 weeks into a 7 week parent/child swimming (or "wimming" in Jillian's terms) class at the RAC. It has been a nice way to get her more comfortable in the water, and another fun activity to do with friends. Jillian knows that we swim with her friend Malea (she calls her "Ra-ra"), so every time I tell her we are going to the RAC, she says "Wimming! Ra-ra!" while making a flapping motion with her arms. It looks like she is trying to fly, but it is a cute interpretation of the scoops we practice in class. This week we were fortunate to have Grammy in town, and she was our very own photographer for the 30 minute class.

Jilly and Mommy pre-swim
March 2010 001

Mommy, Jilly, Malea, and Charie (I am very sad I didn't put Jillian in her other swimsuit that day because she and Malea both own that smashing yellow and white striped number. It would have been very cute to get a pic of them both wearing it together!)
March 2010 002

This week, we worked on getting the girls to stand on a platform in the water and "jump" to us. Jillian thinks this is grand fun, and doesn't at all mind going under.
March 2010 012
March 2010 010
March 2010 011

It is also fun to just stand on the platform, hold a diving stick, and flash a classic Jillian smile!
March 2010 024

We are learning to teach the babies to try some assisted back floats. Jillian isn't fond of this (perhaps because she thinks I am trying to tie her down..), and I usually get smacked in the face in her fight to resume a more upright position.
March 2010 022

Learning to share toys in the water....for some reason it is easier than doing so on land!
March 2010 020

Jillian likes to hang on the side of the pool. She can do so by herself, and often tries to climb out!
March 2010 029

Since Jillian is a thrill-seeker, I have no trouble convincing her to stand on the side of the pool and "jump" to me. As you will see, I do have a bit of trouble getting her to wait until she is actually standing steadily and set to take the plunge. (This is similar to how she approaches descending stairs, but that is a whole other post!)


All that splashing around really makes a little fish tired.
March 2010 031
Mommy loves the long post-swim naps! :)

No comments:

free web counter

Followers