

We decided that this occasion was cause for celebration, so we told Jillian that we were going to have a pizza and movie party in the basement that night. We had heard Tangled was a great movie, and thought Jillian would love to learn the story of Rapunzel since she has now discovered Disney princesses thanks to the pictures of them on her underwear. We laid out beach towels, turned the lights out, and enjoyed our pizza as we watched this fantastic movie. Jillian was mesmerized by the animation and music, and snuggled with her daddy as she watched the entire movie.
After the movie and bath, it was time to get snuggled in her new big girl bed. She calls this her "birdie bed" since the bedding has some birds on it. When it came time to climb in, she became very upset with me when I took the decorative sham pillow (with the beloved birds on it) off the bed and presented her with the plain sheet-covered pillow. She had never slept with a pillow before this night, so of course wasn't quite versed with the proper pillow "etiquette". Needless to say, the birdie pillow is where she lays her head :) Here she is all tucked in after books, ready to give this big bed a shot.
Before I left the room, she looked at me with sincere eyes and said, "Mommy, I want long hair like Punzel". It was the first time she's ever commented to me about her lack of hair and it broke my heart for a split second. I told her she has beautiful hair, and that someday it will grow long. Oh the dreams of a little girl....
Jillian fell asleep quickly and when we checked on her before we went to bed, this was what we found
A peacefully sleeping big girl. No longer a baby. I have known this for a long time, of course, but it was so striking to me at this moment. Matt reminded how big we thought her crib looked to us nearly 2 1/2 years ago when we placed her in it for the first time. This was no different, and brought tears to my eyes in a similar way. I am so proud of our big girl. She had a great first night in the bed, only waking once at 12:30 (I think because she rolled over too hard into the wall) for a brief moment. After a quick drink of water and some reassurance, she was back to dream land. Here's hoping that it continues to go well!
No comments:
Post a Comment