As previously mentioned, we attended what Mayo calls 'the prenatal weekend class'. The class ran from 6-9 Friday night and 9-4 on Saturday and is the condensed version of the 6-week long course they recommend. That 6-week long thing just wouldn't work for us, given Matt's variable call schedule. I have to say that Matt was less than thrilled about attending beforehand, but he agreed to go after I told him he had no choice. I think he was pleasantly surprised. I just asked him if he had any thoughts he'd like to share about the class on this blog and he said, "It was pretty good. You can quote me on that". Here is the lowdown on the experience...
-We endured a cheesy introductory time where we had to introduce ourselves, due date, baby gender if known and share something special about the pregnancy. I ask you, what ISN'T special about a pregnancy?
-We were served some terrible pizza provided courtesy of the hospital cafeteria (sad to think that's where part of our $50 went). You know it's bad when Matt only eats two pieces and I choked down one.
-We watched the birth video (circa 1970 something)--I really could have done without the graphic visual of what is going to happen to my body. But I still had to choke back tears at the end--it's always so darn dramatic when the baby arrives and everyone is all emotional. I daydream about that moment all the time.
-We learned about various laboring positions and tools (many of them moot once you get, if you get, an epidural)
-We got to practice going through 'comfort stations'. You know, basically force the dad to learn different massage techniques that the mom may or may not like. I liked the tennis ball, the counter pressure technique, double hip squeeze, and the hand massage. But the idea to use a paint roller (yes, I said paint roller) to massage the back is ridiculous to me. Is someone really going to pack that in their bag???
-We learned breathing and relaxation techniques. Matt loved this, he can really get relaxed. Good for him, because I cannot shut my brain off to focus like that. We'll see how relaxed I let him get during labor :)
-We got a thorough tour of labor and delivery--it's almost unbelievable to us that a huge place such as Mayo only has 8 birthing rooms! I hope there's room at the inn when it's our time. They are small and intimate, and I'm glad to see that the baby doesn't go far to get cleaned up, weighed, measured, etc. She'll still be in my line of sight (assuming all goes a planned and I don't have a C-section).
-Also included was a tour of postpartum, which I thought was a very nice unit. They do have mostly private rooms, but you have to request them and pay an extra $45/night for them--worth every penny in my opinion. There were a couple of babies in the nursery so it was fun to peep at 'em. Matt couldn't believe how big and squirmy one was. I tend to agree--after working several years in the NICU, full term infants look monstrous to me.
-We learned about pain management options during delivery and were encouraged to fill out a birth plan. We hadn't thought of this and both agree this tool is a good idea to at least ponder and consider what we want, recognizing that the only thing that can really be controlled in the whole experience is our response to the way things go.
-Finally, we had a whole postpartum care section of the day. This was the part I just really hadn't thought about. You know, that whole recovery thing. We were shown samples of postpartum 'supplies' (basically the largest pads I've ever seen and tight, disposable, biker-short like underwear, among other things.....)
All in all, it was a positive experience that made this whole adventure seem more real. It definitely set off some sort of nesting alarm in me b/c I've been in a panic about the state of the house and all I want/need to do. Matt worked all day Sunday and I literally spent the entire day washing baby clothes and trying to figure out how to organize the nursery. Think I exhausted myself--my energy just doesn't go as far as it used to, hence, I'm too lazy to walk up two flights of stairs right now to take pics of the progress and post them. Instead, I sit here and blog, eat cookies and drink milk while watching the Olympics. Perhaps some pics tomorrow.
2 comments:
Forget the pad things, unless it's the icepack kind, just invest in a package of depends (I'm serious) Make sure they give you a bottle of dermaplast to spray (freeze) the swollen "area". Hound the nurses for your pain meds to be given on time or else they'll wear off and you'll never get it back under control. Request the room farthest from the nurses station and the door or you'll hear the comings and goings of everyone in the unit....There you go momma, that's all I've learned having been round the block twice. Can't wait!
I'll make note of that...and yes, they have the ice pack kind :)
Post a Comment