Thursday, August 21, 2008

Burp Cloths and White Onesies

Thought I'd share another amusing Matt story. Last weekend I admit that I got in a bit of a panic over all that is left to do to prepare for baby girl's arrival (this is compounded by the current level of work stress, but I'd rather not ruin the pleasant tone of the blog by sharing that). I just kept telling Matt that there were more things we needed to get, get in place, and have ready for her, as well as purge our house of junk (don't look in our closets, please!). Matt was kindly challenging me by saying that we have the necessities and could go buy whatever we needed after she came. This isn't an acceptable plan to me--the point is to be as ready as possible, not just wait and see. Sure, there are things we'll forget and things we'll still need to buy, but that's OK, we can still be as prepared as possible. We went out to breakfast on Sunday and talked about items to purchase--big things like breast pump, monitor, video camera, etc. I happened to mention that we needed burp cloths and white onesies. Matt just couldn't believe this was something I was fixating on--men just don't think about these things. Matt said he thought we could just use a towel for a burp cloth--I had to kindly explain that babies are messy creatures and will go through many, many per day. He also didn't understand the purpose of the white onesies. We have a few long sleeved ones but I also want some short sleeved ones--gotta have a wide variety of onesies as well, right? After breakfast we got in the car and I wasn't really sure where we were headed (we had talked about a variety of things we needed to do that day). Matt pulled up to Babies R Us. When I asked what we were doing (we had just been there the day before), he said, "You're worrying about something I can fix--go in there and buy all the burp cloths and white onesis you want". So cute, and it made me giggle out loud. I accepted the offer and purchased a sufficient supply. Now we kind of have an inside joke that whenever I talk about being stressed or worried about something I need to get, Matt tags this phrase on to my laundry list "...and burp cloths and white onesies". Again I say, the laughter we share on a daily basis is one of my very favorite parts of our marriage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aah the burp cloths and white onesies story made me smile. Matt is so good to you! Take care of yourself, my neurotic friend!
Love ya! - Leanna

free web counter

Followers