Contrary to how it must appear to you as the reader, I really do not like drama in my life. I like calm and peacefulness and black/white decisions. But alas, it's just not in the plans right now. This morning I woke up with a horrible pain in my right side. It often extended up the entire right side of my groin and around to my back. I thought that perhaps I just moved wrong in my sleep, or maybe I had gas, or maybe I just needed to lie down some more. So there I laid on the couch all morning, trying to sleep unsuccessfully and going through my usual multi-episode morning retching. Around noon, I finally gave in and called the OB triage line. Yes, I know, it seems I am always calling someone about something, but this is the way I look at it: these people are there to tell a pregnant woman what to do and answer questions so I intend to use them. I do not call asking to be seen, simply informing them of my symptom and I let them make the call. The ball is in their court, and I do what they say. I call, of course, usually after a great inner debate about whether or not it's worth it, is it stupid to call, it's probably nothing...blah blah blah. But I always come back to the same answer: better safe than sorry. It's my job to take care of this fetus (by the way, it is officially a fetus after last week) and I don't take that lightly. I should mention at this point that Matt is moonlighting all weekend, so wasn't here to examine me and tell me what to do. Bottom line is that I ended up in the OB triage unit b/c they can't ignore a right sided pelvic pain in a pregnant woman who still has her appendix. So in I went--checked my blood, my urine (not sure why, but they apparently always cath a pregnant woman for a sample--ouch!!), took a good look at the baby (who by the way was kicking his/her legs!!!), my ovaries (found a cyst that might be causing the pain), and did an abdominal exam--some tenderness there but they weren't completely convinced that it was appendicitis, in fact said it probably wasn't. So they sent me home and told me if it gets worse to go straight to the ER (at Mayo all OB care is at a different hospital than where the ER is--weird, I know). Lovely. I wish they could have just given me an answer...anyway, so it could be my ovary, or round ligament pain happening a bit early, or a pulled muscle, or x, y, or z. Time will tell. I'm trying to rest, stay comfortable and just forget about it. I talked to Matt who also does not think it's appendicitis, but I'd sure feel better if he were here to actually get a good look at me.
One thing I decided as I was laying there getting the ultrasound is that I rather liked having the resident perform the ultrasound, more than the seasoned OB who seems almost calloused to the miracle and a bit hurried. This resident got teary right along with me as I saw the baby move and said "your baby looks amazing". That's one of the nicest things I've ever heard anyone say.
1 comment:
Malia (& Matt),
Thanks for sharing your website with me. It will be great to be able to keep up with all the news about the baby (& both of you) now! Hope the pain on your right side has gone away by now. Sometimes worrisome things like that come & go for no good reason. Love, prayers & blessings to all 3 of you!
Post a Comment