Friday, April 11, 2008

The Irony and The Agony

Most of you know how much we love sushi. In fact, if you have received our goofy Christmas letter the last two years, you understand our extreme dissatisfaction with the sushi situation (or lack thereof) in Rochester. Well, guess what? A REAL sushi restaurant, Sushi Itto, opened last week! Matt didn't know this so I surprised him and took him there last night. It was very trendy inside, a bit upscale, very Un-Rochester and I loved that about it. For those of you in Columbia, it kind of reminded us of Sake without all the sorority girls running around. Of course, there is a bit of irony, and I admit, some agony in this whole situation. We've belly-ached for almost 2 years about wanting good sushi in Rochester and now that it's here I'm pregnant and can't eat it! Some of you might argue that I could eat a vegetarian roll or even a California roll, but I'm not chancing it. The cooked fish and vegetables are stored right next to the raw stuff and prepared with the same knife and on the same surface. It's not worth the risk. I will admit that it was a bit agonizing to sit there and eat my teriyaki steak bowl with veggies and rice while Matt salivated over a beautiful looking rainbow roll. The sushi looked great and Matt rated it a 9. The miso soup was outstanding, full of large pieces of shitakes and seaweed, and the shrimp tempura was the best I've had. All in all, a huge score in our book for Rochester. Good sushi is worth waiting for....so I'll just have to wait about 6 more months :) No problem, I'd rather be pregnant than eat sushi. Matt has been instructed that immediately upon the birth of this child, he will go and buy me an assortment of sushi for my first meal....and following that he will go straight to Jimmy John's and bring me a Vito with no onions, add hot peppers...and the biggest diet coke he can find :)

No comments:

free web counter

Followers