Friday, April 18, 2008

Tell Me Something I Don't Know

This week I decided to tell my students that I'm pregnant. For those of you who don't know what I do, I'm in my first year as faculty at the University of MN Occupational Therapy Program. This was the last week of our semester (we are on a year round curriculum) so I decided to bring candy in to celebrate the end and announce my pregnancy. One of the students proceeded to tell me that she knows what I am having. She said I am having a boy, so I asked her how she knew that. Her reply was, "because you have many pimples". WHAT?!! Not an appropriate thing to say to someone, but this student is not of my same culture--so this is just a cultural difference and I accepted it as such. Nonetheless, I was mortified and embarrassed that she would say this to me and in front of others. I have never had beautiful skin, and I probably never will. I am extremely regimented, careful, and have tried everything. My hormones have always been a bit off kilter. I love my dermatologist and her willingness to try crazy things on me to see if it will make a difference. Since becoming pregnant I've had to give up my chemical peels and other topicals that were making me look presentable. Add that with the raging hormones of pregnancy and you get a pizza face. I know my face is a mess and I'm not proud of it, but there's just nothing I can do about that right now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'll take anything this kid dishes out. I'm grateful to be pregnant, so therefore in some twisted way, grateful for these lovely blemishes that are gracing my face.

No comments:

free web counter

Followers