Friday, June 6, 2008
An Evening in Triage
Last night I called the nurse after debating and debating. I had been kind of having weird symptoms and relentless back pain for a couple days. I've had back pain throughout, but this was in a different spot and didn't go away when I changed positions or laid down. Of course they told me to come on in to the L&D triage--they were worried I had a UTI and they take those more seriously in pregnant women. Matt was still on neuro call from home, but insisted on going with me anyway. I seriously had no less than 3 people examine me in some way (med student, resident, senior resident) outside of the nurse and the urology cath tech (remember they don't let you pee in a cup at Mayo when you're pregnant..ugh). The long and the short of it is that I do not have any infection, the baby is fine, and my back pain is normal. I admit I was a little freaked out about this more relentless back pain after being forced to watch the preterm labor video last week in the OB office b/c they talked about back pain that doesn't go away being a sign of preterm labor. So what's a first time pregnant girl to think? The senior resident was GREAT and took lots of time educating me on how to discern the normal pains from the not-so-normal ones, and basically reitering that I should always call to be sure. Like she said, how am I supposed to know if I've never experienced pregnancy before? During this evening visit we also got to hear the baby again for a couple minutes--the nurse was so sweet and just held the doppler there for awhile. We also got another ultrasound, with a little twist. When the residents saw Matt in scrubs, they asked what he did. Once they found out he was a radiology resident, the senior resident said to Matt, "Here, why don't we let Dad scan her". So I had my first ultrasound performed by my husband :) We also got a second peek and picture that proves she's still a girl.....anyway, they must have been bored or slow b/c they took a lot of time with us. I have to say it was a reassuring visit, and I truly appreciate the service. Once we left, Matt walked me around the corner and showed me where he was going to be during the entire month of October at work--did you read that? I said, around the corner from labor and delivery!! Is that amazing timing for a rotation or what? Pretty convenient if I should go into labor during the work day (I work just across the street by the way).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment