Friday, May 29, 2009

7 Months Old

DSC01095
Happy 7 Month Birthday to our Jilly Bean! Time continues to fly and our baby just keeps on growing and growing. Perhaps that growth has something to do with the massive amounts of baby food she has been eating. Jillian is eating the good stuff three times a day now. In the morning she typically eats some oat cereal and fruit. A vegetable hits the tray around mid-day, and she eats another vegetable and some fruit at dinner time while sitting at the table with us as we eat our dinner. So far, Jillian still is not impressed with her mother's cooking and does not enjoy the homemade baby food. She prefers the ultra-smooth baby food from a jar. For now, I am obliging her and offering it. Soon, after we have introduced most basic fruits and veggies, I will return to the homemade stuff and she will hopefully learn to appreciate it :) Our girl is now a big fan of several foods: rice cereal, oat cereal, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, prunes, pears, apples, and (as of today) bananas. Peas are not preferred and certainly elicit the multiple shudders and gagging impression. Green beans are a bit more preferred than peas, but about every third bite she remembers she doesn't like them and makes "that face". I also tried avocado with a shocking, dramatic face of rejection. So far green does not equal good.
Jillian has also begun to develop some separation anxiety where I am concerned. This is where that oh so exciting milestone of object permanence becomes not so exciting. I pretty much cannot leave her sight unless I have her distracted by something or someone else. If she watches me walk away, I am in trouble. We have also experienced this on occasion in the middle of the night. About 2-3 nights/week for the last two weeks she will wake screaming. I give her a few minutes to try and settle herself, and if she cannot I go to her. In past times, any middle of the night wakings were brief and she returns to her crib without trouble. That is not the case now. I go through multiple attempts before I am successful in getting her back to bed--she is the master of seeming asleep in my arms and then will wake as if to say "just kidding" the moment I put her down. Matt has tried to help during these times and she wants nothing to do with him. So, I am just going to believe what the AAP says about separation anxiety (in paraphrase)....it is a sign of a healthy, strong attachment to mom, and the earlier it surfaces, the earlier it diminishes. One can hope. At any rate, she continues to sleep a good 10-11 hours most nights--I will not complain!
Earlier in the week I was informed that Jillian is the "Baby in the Spotlight" for the month of June at daycare--it's like being student of the month. How cute is that? So Matt and I had to answer a bunch of questions (using Jillian's voice) and send in pictures. One of the questions asked, "Why are you special?" My (her) answer: "I bring joy to everyone I meet with my charming personality and infectious smile. My happiness is contagious!" And that, my friends, is our 7 month old in a nutshell.

2 comments:

Andy and Kayla said...

Malia,
7 months- Wow! We have been/are experiencing the same middle of the night parties! I sometimes feel like I have a 2 week old at home. Hadley's problem seemed to be a tooth, then a cold, and now a cough. I tried to let her cry it out and somehow she was able to put together mamamamama- she's good! :) Jillian is adorable and I love reading all of her updates!

Paula (Mom) said...

Wow do the months fly by! She is going to be adventurous with food, that's for sure, except for the green things. Happy 7th month milestone. She is a joy and I love all her pictures..I have a big picture of her on my desk which makes for lots of attention from my friends!!!

free web counter

Followers