Friday, May 1, 2009

The Full Report

Jillian went for her 6 month pediatrician visit today, and all was a success (except if Jillian could talk I'm sure she'd tell you that she didn't enjoy herself all that much...you know, because of the shots).
We entered the office, checked in, and I was given a developmental form to fill out--no biggie, except I thought I was really saving myself some trouble by not taking her into the office in her carseat, and therefore I had to balance her squirmy self on one hip while trying to write on the ledge of the counter (I will remember this next time and not repeat that mistake, if possible). Jillian had a ball as we waited. She surveyed the waiting room, and proceeded to stare and subsequently laugh at every kid she saw. It was hilarious, and absolutely charming. She was pretty proud of herself. Next up: the weigh in. As usual, a mother knows best...I guessed her weight to be somewhere between 17 and 18 lbs and she was 17 lb 6 oz (73%). She measured 26 1/2 inches (also 73%) and her head at 44.5 cm (93%)--this was after the nurse measured her head even larger (>97), which surprised the dr because her head really doesn't look huge, and therefore caused the dr. to measure Jillian's head herself. So we have a relatively proportional child with a large head. Matt said, "She's built like a lollipop". My reply? "Well lollipops are sweet, and so is she!" The bottom line is that Jillian is healthy and growing as she should. The dr and I had a nice conversation, talking at length about progression of solids, organic vs. non-organic foods, breast milk supply, formula, fluoride, sunscreen, and yes, even the swine flu. I have said it a million times before, and I will say it again, I love Jillian's pediatrician. She is fabulous, and exactly the type of dr. I was looking for. Jillian did push her luck at one point during the exam, when she peed on the dr. Oops! Luckily, she didn't mind, and when she jokingly chided Jillian for doing so, Jillian giggled at her. It was cute. After our 30 minute conversation and exam, the sweet nurse returned played bad guy by giving Jillian her 3 shots and her oral vaccine. Jillian screamed during the shots, of course, but settled pretty quickly once I could pick her up. Lucky for us, it was now lunchtime in the office so I was able to stay and nurse her in the room--she was out like a light in about 2 minutes. When we got home she woke up, finished eating, and went back to sleep for another 2 1/2 hours! She was pretty crabby this evening, but I can't blame her. She got some more Tylenol and listened to Daddy read her the two new stories he brought home for her (Daddy's Hugs and Russell the Sheep--I think both will become favorites). She's been sleeping soundly since before 8 p.m., so hopefully she'll stay that way until morning. She'll return for a 9 month visit, but no more shots until 1 year!

2 comments:

Andy and Kayla said...

What did your doctor say about the Swine Flu? I'm really nervous! Glad to see Jillian is doing well. :)

Matt and Malia said...

She didn't say much, Kayla, other than to reiterate the importance of handwashing...and to be ready to keep her home when it hits close enough to us.

free web counter

Followers