Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lucky Number Seven

It is hard to believe, but there was life before Jillian. In fact, our life together truly began seven years ago today. I am not sure where that seven years went (just like I am unsure where Jillian's first seven months went). For some reason I feel particularly nostalgic on this anniversary. Maybe it's because it is our first anniversary as parents, who knows. As luck would have it, Matt has been working nights (which means he sleeps during the day) and that really puts a kink in any celebratory planning. That just comes with the territory. I was surprised, however, when Matt decided he'd like to go out for dinner before he left for work. So, thanks to our fabulous neighbors, we left Jillian and headed downtown. We tried a new restaurant in Rochester where we dined (amidst romantic ambiance no less) on fresh Alaskan halibut sauteed in lemon beurre blanc, wild mushroom risotto and roasted asparagus. Flourless chocolate cake with raspberry sauce rounded out the meal. It was delicious. Anyway, tonight I watched our wedding video (as we do every year--Matt just lucked out and missed it this time!) and I was struck by how young we looked. Good grief. We also looked incredibly happy--really happy. You know, joyfully, sincerely happy. Seeing that made me realize that we can choose that kind of happiness every day. Even on a bad, stressful, frustrating day with a million things going on and a wild, ridiculous schedule. It is our choice. I hope that someday, when Jillian thinks about getting married (of course if you ask Matt, she isn't going to) that she will think of her parents' marriage as the type of marriage that she'd like to have. So since I am feeling so sappy, I thought I'd share a few pictures of our special day, way back when (it really astounds me to think that we got married before digital photography was the norm...hence, the pictures of pictures)...
DSC01100
DSC01098
DSC01103
DSC01102

Who knew that seven years later we'd be raising (and also totally in love with) this little lady....
sevenmonthgrass
We are blessed indeed.

3 comments:

Team Leach said...

WOW #7!! I remeber that day like it was yesterday! And, it is crazy how much everyone changes in 7 years!!! And, now, to have a wonderful adventure as parents!

Love you both!

Charie said...

Congratulations on #7 - wow! And Jillian brings a whole new dimension to your happy adventures, as a couple, as parents, as a family! Cheers to you, Matt and the adorable Jilly Bean!

Matt and Malia said...

Looks at those girls, I am the luckiest man alive. Love you both, Matt.

free web counter

Followers